South Florida is a hurricane-prone area, so it’s important to build or renovate your home with the right materials and design to withstand the strong winds and storm surges that can accompany these storms.
Here are some tips for creating a hurricane proof home:
- Use strong materials. The materials you use to build your home will play a big role in its ability to withstand a hurricane. Concrete, steel, and masonry are all good choices for hurricane-resistant materials.
- Design your home for wind resistance. The shape of your home can also affect its ability to withstand wind. Homes with a low profile and few eaves are less likely to be damaged by wind.
- Secure your roof. The roof is one of the most vulnerable parts of your home during a hurricane. Make sure your roof is properly secured, inspected, and in excellent condition.
- Protect your windows and doors. Impact-resistant windows and doors can withstand high winds and flying debris.
- Consider elevating your home. If you live in a flood-prone area, you may want to consider elevating your home well above the floodplain. This will help protect your home from storm surges.
- Plant trees strategically. Trees can help to protect your home from wind damage, but they can also be a hazard if they fall. Plant trees away from your home and make sure they are properly trimmed.
- Consider installing a whole home generator for backup power in the storm causes power outages.
- Seal any cracks or gaps in your home’s foundation or exterior walls.
By following these tips, you can help create a hurricane proof home that will not only protect your family from the storm, but also increase its value.
A hurricane proof home is an investment in your family’s safety. By following these tips, you can help ensure that your home will withstand the next hurricane.
Interested in purchasing a home that has already been upgraded to withstand powerful storms? There are several great options currently on the market in South Florida, I’d be happy to share more details with you.
Please contact me:
Seth Bloomgarden, Bloomgarden.firstname.lastname@example.org
The post How to Increase the value of your property by Creating a Hurricane Proof Home. appeared first on BHHS EWM Realty.